|Summary of Intervention(s)|
• Alongside signing DORA, the University of Birmingham produced a statement ‘Our commitment to responsible research assessment’.
• The statement includes nine commitments to be made as a University, as individual researchers, and as decision-makers.
• In light of the statement, A Responsible and Fair Approaches to Research Assessment (RFARA) Task and Finish Group was established in May 2020, composed of university staff with different job responsibilities and at different career stages.
• The RFARA will oversee implementation of the principles into the research environment, for example through: reviewing and updating HR documentation to ensure recruitment, promotion and career-progression policies and practices align with the goals of the strategy; developing guidance of staff on how to carry out responsible research assessments; developing guidance of applicants; preparing a consultation-based action plan to raise awareness and compliance with the responsible research assessment strategy and assign responsibilities; monitor progress towards implementation of the action plan and key goals.
• The statement and strategy are designed to introduce widespread culture change around research assessment and will be monitored and updated on a regular basis.