|Summary of Intervention(s)|
• Inspired by the signing of DORA in 2020, the University of Portsmouth adapted 8 principles for responsible uses of metrics in research assessment.
• The principles are incorporated into promotion criteria for positions of reader (associate professor) and full professor.
• Promotion candidates are asked to identify up to three of their highest quality research publications and provide a short justification.
• Narrative statements are expected to explain the research, its significance and contribution to knowledge, and the candidate’s personal contribution to the research.
• At the shortlisting meeting, peer review panels agree which panelists will take the lead in questioning the candidate (at interview) based on these summaries and reading the underlying papers.
• Any use of quantitative metrics in research assessment is to be clearly and transparently stated in guidance and application documents.