|Summary of Intervention(s)|
• As part of their public commitment to DORA principles and an Open Science agenda, the University of Cape Town committed to broadening its assessment of social impact of research, particularly in respect to social justice in a South African context.
• Research impact narratives were placed at center of assessments.
• Comprehensive guidance for candidates applying for academic positions has been produced, which encourages a broadened definition of contributions of research outputs, including:
• Funding from multiple sources, policy reports, downloadable curriculum, diagnostic instruments, broadcasts, discussion of research in legal cases and policy reports.
• Other non-traditional research contributions to be recognized include: publication of datasets and datasharing according to FAIR principles; software and methodological contributions; sustained relationships with communities and multi-sectoral stakeholders; policy adoption; responsible research practices.