Join an organization that wants to improve academic evaluation
The Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA) is both a statement of principles and an organization that campaigns for and supports reform of research evaluation practices. DORA’s mission is to help the global academic community move beyond the inappropriate use of aggregate metrics like journal Impact Factor (JIF) and reform culture around how researchers are evaluated for hiring, promotion, tenure, and funding. Journal prestige, JIF, h-index, and other metrics are often used inappropriately to measure research quality. DORA campaigns for a wide range of scholarly work to be professionally recognized, including rigor, transparency and reproducibility; open access practices; mentorship; teaching; social engagement; intellectual property, and; contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Signing the declaration is an important way for individuals and organizations to publicly declare their commitment to improve research and research practices by supporting a shift towards responsible research assessment (RRA).
Responsible research assessment (RRA): an umbrella term for assessment that creates incentives for, accurately reflects, and rewards the plural characteristics of high-quality research, in support of diverse and inclusive research cultures.
Since 2013, more than 23,000 individuals and organizations in 163 countries have signed the declaration and committed to improving the ways research and researchers are assessed for hiring, promotion, and funding decisions. As an initiative, DORA raises awareness and facilitates the implementation of good practice in research assessment to catalyze change and improve equity in academia.
The DORA Policy Associate position is an opportunity for individuals with an interest in scholarly communications, science policy, and science diplomacy who are seeking to gain experience in these fields and who are passionate about RRA. This position requires a familiarity with academia and the scholarly ecosystem. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic experience is required. Graduate level or an equivalent portfolio of experience is preferred.
Compensation and hours
This position is remote part-time (up to 20 hours per week; $20 USD per hour) for six months. The Associate will report to the DORA Program Director.
- Draft posts for the DORA blog
- Draft posts for DORA’s Twitter account (@DORAssessment)
- Provide support at DORA’s virtual events (e.g., webinars, workshops, etc.)
- Identify content for the Resource Library and draft entries
- Contribute to the development of a series of case studies of universities that have implemented responsible research assessment practices. Tasks may include:
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Results reporting
- Manage and approve DORA signatures
- Other miscellaneous tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication including the use of social media
- Technical capability in communications, data management, and analytics
- Strategic thinking
- Attention to detail
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Time management proficiency
Please e-mail a one-page cover letter and résumé to Zen Faulkes, DORA Program Director (email@example.com) with the subject line, “DORA Policy Associate:” followed by your name.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the position?
- What is your goal for the position (e.g., what experience do you hope to gain and how will you apply it professionally)?
- What skills and relevant experience can you bring to this position?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting September 5, 2023.